Monday, March 14, 2011

Devil's Rant! Musicians with Political Views


I'm not really sure what has compelled me to write this article, other than me getting stoned sitting around with my friends and saying, "You know what pisses me off? Musicians who create music solely to speak their political opinion." The very first thing that will turn me off from an album or from a band is when it just wreaks of political messages most of the time they are ill informed and watch CNN like a religion. Now I understand I might get a lot of shit for this but it's a risk I'm willing to take. So lets do this.

Continuing from earlier, now I'm not saying I don't enjoy songs that contain political messages, in fact sometimes that's the reason why I listen to the songs. I'm talking about this douche-core or fake-punk bands that seem to be sprouting up everywhere that don't really ever seem to have their own opinion, they're always bashing what's in power. To name a band that comes to mind that literally screams misguided opinions and sheer ignorance is Otep. I've been to local shows where I see bands get on stage and play and when they introduce the next song it goes a little like "This song is about the conflict in Chile, this song is called Fight for a Stupid Cause." Of course I bended the words just a little bit to fit my humor, but none the less, that's what I'm getting from the band.

Now I'm not saying bands aren't allowed to voice their opinion on politics, but when they just start blurting out shit and or just start screaming anarchy! There are plenty of political songs I enjoy, I'm not going to list them because I'm too lazy right now, but I do know bands like Megadeth, System of a Down, and Frank Turner make political songs and I love their music.
So if you are a band, keep creating music, keep voicing your opinion, just be sure you're informed and don't let emotion take over cause that's a major factor in giving a misguided opinion. And if you are a band that might get some butt hurt from this and creates misguided music, you can keep doing it if you want, support your right, still doesn't change the fact that your music still sucks!

1 comment:

Rob Liz said...

To add to this, have an educated opinion but also don't be a hypocrite. Don't write songs about being against the system when you are clearly a part of a system. Don't be anti racist but also not have a nice mixture of races either in the band or in the audience. That type of thing.