Thursday, May 13, 2010

You mean that's NOT Evanescence?!?!?!

Photobucket

I'm going to start out this post with getting this out of the way; this CD sounds just like Evanescence. I told Rob today, if you would have played me this CD, I would have hit the internet immediately looking for Evanescence's latest release.

There. I said it. Can we move on now?



I agree completely with Rob that Carly Smithson has no right to complain about the comparison. You take 3 former members of Evanescence, Ben Moody's songwriting/style, a woman who sounds dead on like Amy Lee and almost looks like her (though Amy is WAY hotter) and throw it all together and you have Evanescence carbon-copy We Are The Fallen. I get Ben Moody, I really do. I think he's brilliant. I've said before and I'll say til I die "All For This" is one of my all time favourite cd's (in my top 3). It's my opinion, not everyone is going to feel this way. I just understand his need to be melancholy inside the visage of a clown, because I've gone most of my life that way. Which is why I love Evanescence so much.

On that note, let's get back to the task at hand; here's a play by play of the cd, which I *DID* buy (Best Buy has it on sale for $7.99 and you should get yourself a copy: seriously).

1. Bury Me Alive.
We've all heard it and seen the video. It's amazing. It's been out for quite a while, stirring the buzz and doing an incredible job about it. I think, though, that in this song and a few others, Carly hits some stronger notes that I don't think Amy would touch. I don't recall Amy being a yeller. I think it's in those notes that she's pushing out with all her might is what separates the two singers and helps Carly to fall short (as far as I'm concerned). It's a solid track though, jumpy in some parts, soft and smooth in others. Me likey.
8.5 out of 10

2. Burn
Really strong riff that starts it off, signature Ben Moody. I think I like the music of this song more than the vocals. Nothing wrong with Carly's singing, I just think I like the mechanical and crunchy riffs. The orchestrations are a night touch, but I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere.. hmmm... I wonder. Good song, not spectacular.
7 out of 10

3. Paradigm
More signature Ben Moody rock riffs. I like the softer tone in Carly's voice here and the harmonizing on the vocals here and there. Sounds a LOT like Evanescence's stuff off of their second CD "The Open Door" more than "Fallen". It's a great song. I like this one more than the last one. All good stuff around.
9 out of 10

4. Don't Leave Me Behind
When I first heard this song, I flipped out. It's fucking beautiful. I can't be 100% positive but I think this is my favourite track on the disc. Like I said, I love music making me feel melancholy. The vocals on this song is fantastic, I can even get into Carly's power showing through here and there because it's not overwhelming. I love, love, love this song. I can't say that enough.
10 out of 10

5. Sleep Well, My Angel
Here's another one. Simply beautiful. I was really glad to have a piano-only song on this album and my wish is apparently their command. The songwriting it amazing, vocals pure and simple. Not overly sappy. I can't gush enough about how great this song is.
10 out of 10

6. Through Hell
Here's another solid track. I love the drumming on this song. Great crunchy guitars. Great vocals. Just great.
9 out of 10

7. I Will Stay
Decent intro. Kinda sounds like 80's rock a bit to me. It's still a good song. Nothing to complain about here at all. The more I hear it though, it reminds me of a song from back in the day, I just can't put my finger on it. I'll have to think about that one... It also kinda reminds me of "The Story" by Brandi Carlile a bit too.. Nothing wrong with that though.. :)
8 out of 10

8. Without You
Color me crazy but the piano during the verses sounds JUST like "Lithium" by Evanescence (if not a touch faster). It's a good song. Not great. It doesn't pop to my like most of the others here, but it's not bad enough to skip past every time you hear it. I like it, I just don't love it.
6 out of 10

9. St. John
Nice haunting piano echoes in the beginning. Nice crunchy riffs again. I'm going under.... drowning in you. Sorry. Where was I? We Are the Fallen. Oh yeah. The song's good. Catchy. The choruses remind me a bit of Korn. I like this song a lot.
8 out of 10

10. I Am The Only One
Ok, the intro is dead ripped from Green Day's "21 Guns". Then when the piano kicks in, do the "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah. It's a BEAUTIFUL song, just feels like it's been done before. Like by Green Day. :)
Kick ass tune, though - I can't deny that.
9 out of 10

11. Tear the World Down
Title track to the cd. I think out of all of them, this is the only one I've heard before but don't remember listening to. Here's another good song. Not great. I like it, but don't love it. It's almost there, but is missing something special to make it, well, uhh... special? Good song, can't deny that.
5 out of 10

All in all, this CD rocks the kasbah.. It's definetly an album to get for your collection, if you like Evanescence or not. It's really, really good. Borderline great. If some of the tracks were a little more improved, if they had whatever was missing on making it great, this would be in my top 10. Either way, go get it.


1 comment:

Rob Liz said...

I listened to it and I have to say I do like it more then either of the Evanescence albums as a whole. I think Fallen had a couple of tracks I like better then this but it was really uneven.
Nice review though track by track.Now I don't have too:p