Friday, June 18, 2010

Devil Music A-Z: Anthrax

Photobucket

The Big Four are finally playing the Sonisphere shows back in Europe so what better time then to continue with this project then to talk about Anthrax. Let me first say that I'm not an Anthrax fan. Never have been and probably never will be. Sure, I like some of their stuff but there has always been a disconnect for the most part.I think mainly because they incorporated other elements I was not a fan of like rap and punk. I will even go as far to say that if they had not put out the I Am the Man and Attack of the Killer B's they would not be as popular as they were.Those two EP's gave them a broader audience they normally would not have had and honestly carried their career. In fact.....I Am the Man was their only platinum. Why do I not like them much?

I didn't like Joey Belladonna's vocals. He didn't have a thrash edge and in fact I never thought he could really sing very well.And then John Bush came in after frankly I was bored with the straight edge hard rock they were doing. Personally I think they should have toughed it out with Neil Turbin who I actually did think would have been a solid frontman for them over time but they've made such monumentally bad decisions over the years it doesn't really make any difference. I suppose if I had developed a taste for punk like the Misfits or D.R.I. I would have liked these guys more but oh well. Here is the video for Madhouse that really incorporates what I didn't like about Anthrax or Joey's vocals. You might have to watch it in a separate window since Youtube likes to now put up videos to wide for my layout.


No comments: