Sunday, July 25, 2010

Devil Music A-Z: Amon Amarth

Photobucket

Sorry for the lack of posts. I've been busy and checking out a ton of new bands lately which hopefully I'll get to. One of them in question is Amon Amarth. Yeah I got around to these guys after I started this project so the alphabetizing is off, sue me. I've actually gone back to this group a few times over the last couple of years. It seems like my tastes are constantly changing at an alarming rate to where it's taking me 3 or 4 listens before "I get it".

Here is the deal with this group for those that are unfamiliar. They are the manliest men to ever man a stage. I kid of course, sort of. Actually these guys do a form of melodic death metal in the form of perspectives from Vikings of yore. It's like power metal but no wankery and loaded with gruff vocals and alot of depressive themes. Like story time with your old Norwegian grandfather who hates your guts and wants to make you cry.

I've listened to their whole discography and there are two phases to this band. The first three albums are just straight death metal with the same themes but boring in my opinion. All of the songs sound the same and the vocals are incomprehensible. The last 4 albums are where Amon Amarth start to really break the mold and put together something special. You can understand the lyrics which is awesome because it truly is a storytime experience mixing in battles, death, myths, and gods.And musically they've improved as well with lead breaks and actual riffs. I'm really glad I've gone back and checked these guys out and it might take a listen or two for others to get it but their popularity has slowly increased over the years so hopefully this formula stays the same.
Check out some of their videos after the jump.

The Pursuit of Vikings from The Fate of Norns


One of my favorite tracks


This song will make you a man


As close to a ballad as we'll get


No comments: